Thursday, October 06, 2005

Tips for speaking to a large seminar

There's a HUGE difference between
different types of selling.
- One on one
- Small groups
- Small speaking audience
- Large seminar audience

Every situation is different. And chances are you are going to have to be able to handle each one.
And since I just spoke in front of several hundred people at Ryan Lee's Boot Camp I figured I'd
cover that topic today.
-----
Thank you to everyone who was
there. It was awesome!!!
-----

Tips:
1- Not a big deal, but good to know. The podium is what you stand on. The lectern is what you stand behind.

2- Actually, you should get rid of the lectern and get out into the open on the stage. Don't be afraid. You need to be courageous out there to captivate your audience.

3- I don't love powerpoint and I don't use it for small talks, but I will for a large talk like this. If you don't know how to use it, like me, just have someone else advance the slides for you. That's what I did and it made me much more comfortable.

4- Don't take questions. I wanted to completely captivate my audience and that meant me mesmerizing them with my info. In smaller presentations I like to take questions and it's easier
to hear. But in a group this size I suggest YOU steal the show.

5- Give them most of your best stuff. You've always got more. Most of the time I had my audience taking notes and from what they told me afterwards it was greatly appreciated.

Now, if it's a free talk to a networking group or something like that, well, that's a different story. And a different post.

6- Be yourself. Easier said than done when you are standing in front of 400 people, but it's vital to your success as a speaker. Use your words. Act like you normally act. As I said during my presentation I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

7- Thank your audience for being there. They could be somewhere else but they chose to spend their precious time with you. Be grateful for that. I thanked them first. And I thanked my newsletter subscribers and customers as well from the bottom of my heart.

8- Have fun!!! Public speaking is such a thrill for me. I love it. It's such a huge rush.

9- Use humor. No off-colored jokes in bad taste. And don't try to tell a joke you might
forget. Just kid around and be playful.

10- Don't be afraid to close hard.

If you gave a great presentation filled with rock-solid information to an audience who was hungry for it they are going to want more. And you have earned the right to make an offer. Make them a deal they'd be crazy to refuse. Since I feel I've given you some very valuable info just now I'm going to make YOU a deal. I've got a very limited amount of inventory leftover from the Boot Camp that I want off my hands and into yours. You can see my offer to you at:

http://www.JimLabadie.com

But hurry up and get over there because there isn't much left and once it's gone it's gone.
In fact, it might take all of twenty minutes for this to expire.

Yours in prosperity,

Jim Labadie


PS- Once it's gone it's gone.
http://www.JimLabadie.com

PPS- The Velvet Rope is coming...

PPPS- And if you haven't already heard so are Labadie, Lee and Cosgrove. To a town near you - 2006!

follow me on Twitter