Monday, March 12, 2007

The better end of the deal

Close your eyes and conjure up an image of a sales person.

What do you think of immediately?

Some slimy, sleazy jerk who wants nothing more than to trick you out of your money?

That's what a lot of people envision when they hear the word sales person.

And as fitness professionals we see ourselves as being on the opposite end of the spectrum.

That's a good thing.

Even better, people who have the best interests of prospective clients in mind are the best type of sales people.

I know, I know. That doesn't seem possible.

But it is very much the truth.

In fact, it makes it incredibly easy to think of yourself as a sales professional as well as a fitness professional. It's in our nature to want to help people. For most of us it's why we got in this business in the first place. To help others.

Trouble is, too many of us forget what the word professional means. By definition, a professional gets paid for what they do.

Then why do so many fitness professionals have so much trouble asking people for money in exchange for their services?

I know there are some out there who cannot understand why people would want to pay for their help. Fitness comes so naturally to them, why doesn't it come so naturally to others?

These same professionals hold the belief in their own mind that their services aren't very valuable because they would never pay for the service themselves.

Sounds kind of silly, but it is true.

If you don't believe your service is valuable then you will never be able to sell it.

There's nothing unethical about asking to be paid for what you do.

Especially, the people in our profession. We change lives! We lengthen lives! We do incredible things for our clients!

What do we get in return?

Of course there is the satisfaction that comes with helping a client. But mainly we get money in return. They get a new life and you get some money.

Who gets the better end of the deal? Personally, I think they do.

Imagine you lost the fitness lifestyle that you lead. What would you pay to get it back? A fortune, I'm sure.

Why then feel badly about asking prospective clients for money?

Don't get me wrong. I don't suggest you start asking a king's ransom for your services. However, I do suggest you take a long, hard look at what it is you provide to your clients.

There is no amount of money in the world to compensate us for what we do. I firmly believe that. If you don't then you need to either re-evaluate your beliefs or the quality of service you provide to your clients.

Have you ever had to hire a lawyer? I have. And I can tell you my small business attorney cost me $175 per hour. He handled some legal matters for me and charged me more than I'd like to admit.

If you had given anyone of us the same amount of time that he took to create some documents and file some papers with the government, we could have changed a person's life around for the better, forever.

Who deserves to charge more?

If you said the lawyer then you are definitely in the wrong profession.

Who loves ya? ;-)

Yours in prosperity,

Jim Labadie
http://www.howtogetmoreclients.com

"It's quite possible I've got more qualifications than anyone else in my field. Seriously, I've got more letters after my name than I have in my name! However, I'm going to let you in on the horrible truth...there is no relationship between being technically good or skilled at what you do and getting paid.

Jim Labadie is THE MASTER and he has solved that problem. The Ultimate Sales Kit for Fitness Professionals is almost as good as having Jim as your own personal sales staff. Within days of listening to the CD's you'll have, at the least, doubled your investment.

BOTTOM LINE: If you don't have this kit in your arsenal, you better pray your competition doesn't. It's that powerful."

Alwyn Cosgrove
Sports Conditioning Professional
Owner Results Fitness
AlwynCosgrove.com

http://www.howtogetmoreclients.com

follow me on Twitter