Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Tough, Heart-Thumping Workout

Before I went on vacation I asked my friend Amanda Vogel for a way to promote fitness as fun. A way to get people excited about joining a Boot Camp or some other fitness program.


Her response is brilliant.


****


What works well is to get people excited to join a program that culminates with a special outing or event. We did that at the club where I was VP a few years ago. The big event was to climb a local mountain, the Grouse Grind, as a group, supporting and encouraging each other.


The Grind is famous in Vancouver for being a tough, heart-thumping workout. The feeling of achievement you get when you finish and the view of the city from the top are well worth the effort.


At our club, we organized a program to help people who might not have imagined ever doing the Grind - these are the people who get the biggest emotional payoff from such an event. The marketing hooks were:


1) a program that showed members exactly how to get fit for our big event, so they'd feel prepared, supported and motivated (this was also a good way to stimulate word of mouth in the club because people talked about "training for the Grind"),


... and, even more importantly ...


2) helping members achieve a confidence-boosting "rite of passage" on the Vancouver fitness scene - hiking the Grouse Grind - with the encouragement and guidance of other gym members and qualified staff.


By the way, if you have a local fitness attraction such as the Grouse Grind, helping less-fit people conquer the feat (these are people who wouldn't normally do it on their own) can also be a good hook for a human interest story with the local media.


****


By the way, Amanda is the co-creator of Profitable Fitness Events for Managers and Trainers. A CD available at http://www.activevoice.ca/fitmark_profevents.shtml


If you want even more brilliant ideas and insights, be sure to get a copy.


Who loves ya? ;-)


Yours in prosperity,

Jim Labadie
http://GetPrograde.com


PS- That's a killer idea to incorporate with your own Fitness Boot Camp. Well, if you know how to run them that is.


http://howtoprofitwithbootcamps.com


"Jim,

Just wanted to give you a quick heads up on the progress I've made with my camps since purchasing your Ultimate Boot Camp Product.


I started in March '06 with about 10 people attending. It's steadily grown over the last 9 months with this month hitting 56 enrolled!!


It was your product that cemented the idea to start my own camps. I had no idea at the time that some initial guidance from the Ultimate BC CD's and some marketing know how would amount to a such a successful business.


I want to thank you for providing that spark that ignited what this year will be a SIX-FIGURE boot camp business!!"


Yours In Health,

Eric Gelder
ChandlerBootCamp.com


****


"Hi Jim,

My name is Lyle Johnson, owner of MVP Fitness in St. Louis. I purchased your Boot Camp Start Up Kit and have gotten great results. I have had 44 camp members enroll in MVP Fitness Boot Camp in the first month. Not bad considering I only had 3 clients last year before the Kit!


Currently I am holding three camps; one at a local high school, another in an affluent subdivision and the other one for the St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Organization, which is actually held on the baseball diamond at the brand new Busch Staduim.


I feel great and very confident in the future direction of MVP Fitness and I am looking forward to improving more people's lives by offering more boot camps.


Thanks again! Your Ultimate Boot Camp Start-Up Kit CDs really helped me grow my business!"

Lyle Johnson
MVP Fitness, LLC


http://www.howtoprofitwithbootcamps.com

follow me on Twitter