Tuesday, May 06, 2008

As a trainer thinketh

I was talking to a buddy of mine in Tampa a few years ago after reading one of Richard Branson's books.


"How the hell did that guy get so lucky?", he asked me.


I don't know if you've ever read anything on Branson, but luck has little to do with his massive success.


More like brass you know what.


It was then I knew it was pointless talking about wealth with this particular friend.


We just think too differently.


And most people, this friend included, don't realize how powerful their thoughts are.


Now some people who saw the movie The Secret just took things too far.


You're not going to sit in a room and wake up one day to realize all of your dreams have come true.


Unless, that is, your dream was to sit in a room and do jack shi...


But you're not going to realize your dreams if you're not focusing your thoughts on them.


And I find it interesting that trainers, who I know are terrific coaches, will say things to themselves they would never in a millyun years say to a client or athlete.


I hear the word "can't" a lot.


I hear the word "try" a lot.


I hear plenty of bitching and moaning from trainers about how hard things are.


If you say you can't, you can't.


You don't try, you DO.


And the more bitching and moaning you do about how hard things are, the longer things are going to continue to be hard.


Be mindful of your thoughts.


Be mindful of your self-talk.


And if you think Richard Branson, Bill Gates, Oprah and every other absurdly successful person on this planet was "lucky", well, start buying lottery tickets, smoking Marlboro Reds and going for a six-pack after work each day because I can't help you.


But I'll still love ya.


Yours in prosperity,


Jim Labadie

follow me on Twitter