Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The highs and lows

Geoff Thompson's book The Elephant and the Twig made me aware of something I'd never thought of before.

Isn't that what books are supposed to do?

Anyway, in an amazing chapter on how to handle critics, Geoff points out that one of the problems he had was how high he got from his fans.

In other words, the people who praised him and sent him glowing reviews gave him a high.

And that meant when the critics came along, the lows got him real low.

I'd never looked at it like that before. But it sure makes sense.

I consider myself to be very blessed. I'd say 9 out of 10 emails I get from fitness pros are super positive. Either I've helped them in some way, or they agree with a point I made, or they sent a testimonial...

It's rare that I get someone who just flat out blasts me or disagrees with me. And while they hardly cause me to lose sleep at night - not even close - they do piss me off for a minute or two.

And thanks to Geoff I realized that I can't let the highs get me to high. Because when the lows come around...

The moral of the story?

Do what you do to the best of your ability and stay emotionally balanced to the response you get from your work.

And believe me, when you put yourself out there for all the world to see, you're going to be hearing from people.

If you're not, that's about the only time you need to be worried.

Jim
http://www.howtoprofitwithbootcamps.com

follow me on Twitter