Monday, March 03, 2008

The Name Game

The Name Game


Here's a great question many of you might also have:


"Hi Jim,
I purchased your http://howtoprofitwithbootcamps.com kit a little over a month ago and feel there is some great information in there. I am really excited about starting my own camp but have run into an obstacle that is driving me crazy.


I cannot come up with a name for my business. I have come up with about 20 great names and all the websites are already taken. I have ran into a lot of fitness business names out there that I think are terrible but it appears they have a successful business.


So maybe the name is not that important, but only marketing? Anyway, I know you can't pick a name for me, but any advice you have would be great. I really need to get past this first step.


Thank you,


Chad Meisenheimer


Well, Chad, I've got some insights for you, but I don't have a definitive name.


1- Yes, the name of your business is VERY important. But it shouldn't take forever to choose one. At some point you just have to make a decision and move forward.


2- Plenty of great businesses are named after their founder.


Buy a Ford and you know you're getting a car.


Go to McDonald's and you know you're getting fast food.


David Barton Gyms are certainly an example of this in the fitness industry.



3- Be careful when you ask the opinion of friends and family when you ask what they think of possible names.


"I'm thinking of starting a search engine and calling it Google." Back in the day most people would have looked at those guys and said they were nuts to call it that. Same with Amazon and Starbucks.


4- Make sure you do your trademark research as well. Be sure you aren't picking a name that is already in use.


5- Personally, when in doubt, I go with my gut.


6- Make a deadline and stick to it. Do the best you can and get started.


Who loves ya? ;-)


Yours in prosperity,


Jim Labadie
http://howtoprofitwithbootcamps.com


PS - Yes, it works in the UK, too.


"Hi Jim,



Just wanted to let you know what happened after I bought your Ultimate Boot Camp Start-up Kit.


I put out an email to my newsletter list and within two days had sold out all 20 places in my camp!! This was without even doing press releases or any other marketing. That's 1200 POUNDS!


I'm now looking for a sleeve sponsor for the t-shirts I want to give my 20 customers!"


Thanks for such a great product!"


Paul Mort (Dip.PT,Dip.ST)
PrecisionFitnesss.co.uk

follow me on Twitter