Thursday, February 07, 2008

Ranting and Raving

One of my readers brought something to my attention the other day. He let me know I've been a bit negative lately and suggested I get back to taking the high road.


Duly noted.


I think I know the reason for it. For the most part, I NEVER watch the news. I don't need to be - and neither do you - hit over the head with their negative energy. But I have been watching some of the political debates, and the election in general, because it fascinates me. Apparently some of the mud-slinging has slipped into my subconscious.


Daniel Munday of Australia brought this to my attention just yesterday. Give it a quick read. It's short and to the point.


http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_8169405


Now there's all sorts of negative things I could say about it. In fact, I shared it on some of the social book marking sites and made my opinion known that lazy people are helping to kill this country. I could have gone a lot further.


But, as per usual, there is a tremendous positive side to this story. There are people out there just waiting for your help. There are entire corporations who need your ideas on how to get their health care costs under control. There is so much opportunity for fitness professionals.


I've been talking lately to a lot of trainers who are working in clubs and are none too happy about it. Many of them are starting to get the message. Many of them are just beginning to see for themselves the potential rewards of striking out on their own. Others are witnessing, now that January is over, what happens when you spend all your time servicing clients and not having any time for marketing.


I commend these trainers for starting to step-up to the plate. But I also urge them to think things through. Don't just jump in the fire without any sort of plan. Move in the direction of your dreams by being smart about things. Take CALCULATED risks. STOP getting more certifications and START learning the business.


Look at it this way:


Most people who are fat are fat because they are lazy. And if they are exercising and not seeing results it is because they have been too lazy to find a better way of doing things.


Most trainers who are broke are broke because they are lazy. They may work hard, but they are too lazy to find a better way. And never in the brief history of our industry has it been easier to find a better way to make a living as a trainer.


Who loves ya? ;-)


Jim "The Liberator" Labadie
http://trainandgrowrich.com/results.htm


PS - I've helped trainers just like YOU make the move. See for yourself: http://trainandgrowrich.com/results.htm

follow me on Twitter