Monday, June 16, 2008

Some Father's Day Love

It's Father's Day here in the United States, so I wanted to share some more of my story with you today.


My dad is a great guy. He's not the most talkative man. He's certainly not the most outgoing.


But he took care of three kids and his wife as best he could. We never wanted for anything. We weren't rich, but we were far from poor.


He put three kids through college without having to borrow a dime. He was a big part of the booster club for the high school football team when my brother and I played.


He spent a fortune on my sister's wedding. He doesn't take sh*t from anybody. He always took us on vacations.


But a lot of my dad's life was spent working in a business that he owned but certainly didn't love. And the stress and the constant commuting to New York City landed him in the hospital with a minor heart attack at age 45.


That was 1988. He's been fine ever since. He's been retired for a few years now. And he's much happier for it.


He's a great father. I just wish his life could have been a little easier. But if it had, well, maybe I wouldn't be here writing this message to you today.


I received emails from many of you in response to my grandmother's passing. One of them inspired me to write this one.


You should be proud as hell to be the kind of person my father is. But I only hope you're different in one way.


Do what you love to do. Please do what you love to do.


If you're not where you want to be right now that's ok.


Know what you want.


Make a reasonable plan to make it happen.


You don't have to drop everything.


Just move forward day after day.


Small steps lead to big results.


Happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there.


- Jim

follow me on Twitter