Tuesday, May 15, 2007

99 times out of 100

99 times out of 100

99 times out of 100 the business cards you give out end up in the trash.

Or if not in the trash then in someones desk drawer for a year. And a year later it goes in the trash when that desk drawer is cleaned.

Now this isn't the case for all cards. But it's pretty much always the case for the standard:

Your name
Company name
email
phone

...kinda card.

I've done a lot of networking in my day and I cannot even begin to tell you how many people would give me their card when I didn't want it.

Some people would give me ten "just in case."

Just in case what? My garbage can was lonely?

Just in case the thousand other useless business cards in one of my desk drawers wanted more friends?

Yes, there are times when business cards are handy.

Yes, there are times when they make for great marketing.

Yes, some cards are extremely creative and effective.

But here's the deal:

Business cards for most every professional, fitness or otherwise, are a copout.

They are a way for so-called professionals to bail out of an uncomfortable situation. Instead of doing some prospecting and finding out if the person they are talking to might actually want to be a client they go limp and weakly say, "Here's my card, give me a call and we'll talk more."

Hey, I've done that myself, I'll admit it.

But I would never do it again.

Would you?

Do you know what to do next time you're in that situation?

Or are you going to let another potential client slip through your hands?

Or perhaps you're happy wasting your time talking to prospects who have zero interest in fitness because you don't know the questions to ask, never mind the guts to ask them.

But go ahead, keep on doing what you've been doing. I'm sure your luck will magically change.

Who loves ya? ;-)

Yours in prosperity,

Jim Labadie
http://howtogetmoreclients.com/

PS - Fellow fitness pro and former WNBA star Val Whiting is a believer. Are you?

"Even though I have not mastered the teachings of Jim's Sales Kit and am very rusty, it works. I have messed up , bumbled, fumbled and still have gotten clients!

This system works even better with athletes and actually fits my style of thinking. As a professional athlete, I was extremely dedicated and focused. I expect no less from everyone else. I have made my mind up to train those type of people only. And if they are not with my "game plan" then, they are not a good fit for our program.

Not only has this system help increase our business, but has helped us save time."

Val Whiting
Wilmington, DE

PPS- The digital download version is just $99 - http://www.howtogetmoreclients.com/

follow me on Twitter