Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Jim, I was overtraining like crazy

In the summer of 1987 I was training like an animal to get ready for football season.


I didn't have any clue what I was doing, but I sure was working hard.


The weight room at Wayne Valley high school was open around dinner time three nights per week. And I was there religiously.


Night after night I was in there sweating my ass off in the hopes of gaining weight and getting stronger.


And in July I saw big results. I was feeling so proud about myself and the results I was getting.


My squat was going up...


My bench was going up....


Unfortunately Coach Keil - our head coach - never seemed to be around to see me busting my hump.


Not in July anyway.


Come August my gains started to evaporate. Not only was I not getting stronger, I was actually getting weaker.


I was 15 years old and had ZERO clue I was overtraining.


Nobody on the staff knew what they were doing. None of the other athletes seemed to either. We just did the 'big' lifts over and over and over.


It was near the start of triple sessions - yes, TRIPLE sessions, why have two when you can have three? - Coach Keil saw me struggling with a none too impressive weight.


"Looks like Labadie hasn't been doing much this summer", he said.


I wish I were making that up. Unfortunately, I can still hear his words ringing in my ears.


But the good news is times have changed.


The good news is there are professionals out there changing all this.


And tomorrow, you're going to see some of those changes.


Be one of the first to know how the field of Youth Conditioning is being changed. Check out the http://IYCAlaunch.com


Who loves ya? ;-)


Yours in prosperity,


Jim Labadie


PS - My football career was actually a very good one. But it would have been a lot easier if the right resources were available. The future is now at http://IYCAlaunch.com

follow me on Twitter