Thursday, January 11, 2007

The Weather Channel?

For some unknown reason, two of my roommates in college were big fans of the Weather Channel.

I never really understood it because back then, the early 90's, it was boring as hell.

But have you watched it lately?

It's pretty interesting because it used to be nothing to it. They just talked about the weather.

I watched it for two minutes today to find out what the weather - duh - was going to be like. And it's amazing to see that the Weather Channel is full of sensationalism. They have "teasers" just like any other news station.

"There's a 50% chance half of the northeast is going to freeze to death tonight, but first we're going to show you the storm build-up in Malaysia that's sure to wreak havoc on the local community of..."

And the same thing goes with ESPN and any other channel that reports news on any topic imaginable.

What's the moral of the story?

If the freakin' Weather Channel has resorted to this you better be fully aware it's mighty tough to get people's attention. So what are you doing about it?

Who loves ya? ;-)

Jim

PS- Want to get people's attention?

www.howtogetmorepublicity.com

Just landed one of my Ultimate Publicity Kit customers in the Denver Post:

http://www.denverpost.com/lifestyles/ci_4963898

"The smartest thing I did I got from Jim Labadie's Ultimate PR Kit - I made myself REALLY available. It was kind of hard for the fitness editor and I to connect, so I left the really juicy sound bite-ish quotes on her voicemail. We were playing phone tag with her leaving me questions on my voicemail and I'd leave the answers on hers. But I kept calling and calling until I got her on the phone so I could make sure she had everything she needed."

Josh Hillis
Author of "The Stubborn Seven Pounds: Take Your Body from Good to Rock Star"

follow me on Twitter